The Chaine Gala 2018: A Celebration of YouthFoodies Corner
The last Chaine des Rotisseurs event of 2017 was a triumph of style and service in the DoubleTree Hotel by Hilton, but also a triumph of education and mastery for some of Asia’s young rising stars of cuisine, service and knowledge, since the Jakarta Balliage joined forces with Hilton Hotels Group to test their young personnel in a rigorous challenge of skills.
This was an inspired idea by regional GM of Hilton, Nils-Arne Schroeder to recruit the experience and expertise of the Chaine’s Jakarta council members to be judges of their 2017 “F&B Masters” competition and then to use their talents to create the 2017 Chaine Gala Dinner. So the council were fully engaged on the Sunday to watch, taste and question, to establish who would be the champion in five different disciplines: bar, barista, sommelier, culinary and dessert with the system watertight and the scoring 100% unbiased and fair.
The results for the young aspirants were of course mixed, with some celebrating and others going back to the cookbooks but for the Chaine members who arrived on the Monday evening the story was very different as the DoubleTree’s Executive Chef had taken the youngsters under his supervision and crafted a dinner fit for kings and queens.
But there was more to come. On arrival at the DoubleTRee Ballroom, guests (in elegant evening attire of course) were welcomed by two magnificent golden trees (DoubleTree’s signature) and a selection of superb cocktails and canapes before being ushered into a dramatically darkened ballroom. There in the middle of the room was a magnificently decorated table, prepared to perfection and ready for action.
And the action came thick and fast as the delightful menu was served in a coordinated and exemplary fashion by the service team, while a talented jazz band serenaded in the background. Guests of Honour included their Excellencies, the US and Belgian Ambassadors, visiting VIP’s from Hilton Group and prominent business people and celebrities from around Indonesia. It was, once again a night to remember, with the menu and wine pairing as follows:
Nusantara Chaîne Dinner at DoubleTree by Hilton Jakarta - Diponegoro
Mise en Bouche
- L’aumônière de fruits de mer a la Balinaise sur nid de fruits de la passion, Balinese style seafood Aumoniere on a fruit salsa nest, Freixenet Cordon Negro
- La timbale de canard de Java, légumes et noix de coco sauce cacahouètes , Urapan duck timbale Javanese vegetables with Grated coconut, Asinan and Peanut dressing, Pipoli Greco Fiano 2016
- La Soupe de potirons de Bogor, gingembre et mousse de coco, Bogor pumpkin soup, Ginger and Coconut foam
- La langouste de Gulai sous vide, Choux verts, Genjer rôti et réduction de bouillon de Sumatra, Sous vide Gulai lobster with Green cabbage, Papeda, Roasted genjer and Sumatra broth reduction , Babich Hawke’s Bay Chardonnay 2016
- Les côtés de bœuf de Batavia grillées façon Semur, curry de légumes et pommes de terre douces , Batavia grilled short beef ribs Semur, Curry vegetable puree, Roasted sweet potato perkedel, Clarendelle Rouge 2012
- Le parfait de Coco Pandan de Sukabumi, tuile de sésames et glace mangue maison, Sukabumi pandan coconut parfait, Sesame tuile and homemade mango ice cream, Batasiolo Brachetto D’acqui 2015
The evening ended with a presentation of culinary and service certificates from the Chaine Council and a ceremonial plate to the GM in recognition of his vision. The winners of the F&B Masters were acknowledged and celebrated, and the tradition of support for the development of youth in the Chaine fulfilled.